Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Decision Making Models

The other day in class, we learned a great tool to help us make the right decisions. This tool was the GREAT decision making model.
Give thought to the problem. Do not impulsively make a decision. The consequences may not be rewarding and cause you to regret your decisions.
Review the choices. Come up with a list of ways to handle the situation.
Evaluate the consequences of each choice. This is the time to start thinking of what would the short-term and long-term consequences be if I choose choice A or if I choose choice B.
Assess and choose the best choice. Now, pick the choice that you feel is best for handling the situation.
Think it over afterwards. Reflect on the choice you made. Do you regret it? Could you have picked a better choice? Are you happy and know that you did the right thing?
The steps above are for the GREAT decision making model. Here are two other decision making models. The first one is called the Six Thinking Hats.


The Six Thinking Hat model involves the different colors shown in the picture to the right.
The white is for the observer, and the facts, rumors, and figures involved in making a good. This is using the information that is available to you.
The yellow hat is for the positives, benefits, pluses, and optimisim in the situation. Yellow symbolizes the sun, and is for the logical positive view.
The black hat is for the downside to the situation, the logical negative aspect, judgemental, and critical. This hat focuses on the,"what could go wrong?"
Red is for the emotions, hunches, and intuition that you have. It symbolizes warmth and fire. You believe something without any explanation.
Green is for the new ides and variations, possibilities, and being creative. This color symbolizes vegetation.
Blue is for the controler/conductor, the one organizing the thinking, choices, and conclusions. Like the blue sky, it is overviewing the process.

The next model, called the rational decsion making model, is summarized in the following diagram.

I think all three models for decision making are rather similar. Thay all help us find a way to make the best choice for us and our morals. They all want us to define the problem, and develop the choices that we have for handling this problem. Also, all three models have us look at the pros, cons, and consequences for each choice. In the end, each model has us decide which choice is best based on the information we had previously looked and found.

Although the three models have similarities, they are also very different. The Six Thinking Hats and the Rational Decision Making Model both have six steps, but the GREAT Decision Making model only has five steps. The GREAT Decision Making Model has s thnking over the choice we made at the end, while neither of the other ones have us reflecting on what we decided. The Six Thinking Hats model is also rather confusing to follow. The steps never clearly seem to describe what you should do when you are stuck with a problem. This model is meant for a group situation where everyone is able to say what they would like without running the risk of offending another member of the conversation. This aspect of the model differs from the others because it is a group decision making model. I assume that you can do the whole process on your own, but it is more effective with other members.

Personally, I view the GREAT Decision Making Model to be the most effective and easiest to use. This model is so much easier to remember compared to the other two models that I found. You have an acronym sitting in front of you, detailing the steps you must make to come up with the best and, hopefully, right choice to your problem. I also feel that the model is easiest to understand how to use, and is a good tool for teenagers.

12 comments:

  1. i really like your hats model i think it was cool but if i was the creator of the hats i would use prettier colors like pink etc. i totally agree with you that the great model is really easy to remember and i'm sure it will be useful to us in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with kittykay, I to enjoy the hats model. The idea of hats makes it memorable so hopefully most people will remember to use it before they make the wrong decision. I do also agree that the GREAT system is a wonderful way to make decisions. It is simple and easy to use. If i were to make a decision i would use the hats model or the Great model, not the rational decision model. It sounds boring and long.

    Those are good finds though good job Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica i loved the hat model it souded really cool. your rational decision making model sounded cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hat model was definately my favorite. The rational decision model, and the GREAT model are pretty much the same thing, but the ration decision model uses bigger words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the hat model the best Erica. I also agree that the GREAT Decision model is the most efective though. That would be the one that I would definatly use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked that there were diagrams to go with some of your models. I also think that the GREAT decision model is the most effective way. GOOD JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really sat down and though about how I make decisions. Personally, I would have to agree with Erica that the best process is the GREAT process. However, they are all very similar. What's more important is making the right decision, rather than how you get there. Whichever process works best for you is one that you should choose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the models you picked are good ones. The hat model is a really cool example becuase I wopuld use it in real life becuase I would be able to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After looking over your detailed post (which isn't a bad thing), I found the rational decision making model to be the process I would most likely use. It lists the simplest/clearest yet most thorough way to make a decision. The six hats are easy to remember as Patrick said, but I didn't completely understand the process, if there was one. It seemed to confusing and long to help me make a decision. I am sure that after studying more in-depth, I could understand it better, but until I absolutely need to, I don't think I will be researching the six hats model haha. The rational decision making model sounded a lot like the GREAT model, both of which I would use. Very informative Erica, brilliant job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Six Hats mode was really interesting, and I like the symbolism. However, I would agree that the actual decision-making process is rather confusing. There really isn't a step-by-step process to it. The Rational decision-making model is a good one, but like stated before doesn't suggest an evaluation of the decision that was made. I think that is the only weakness of the Rational model. So, if I had to choose out of the three models listed, I would probably choose the GREAT model. Like Erica, I think it is the easiest to follow, and the acronym makes it easier to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erica, the hats model is probably my favorite. It's very informative and thorough. The one we learned in class was just a typical step by step process. I think the hat one makes people think a lot more and can judge what person in each situation is was color hat. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erica, I really liked your models. I was thinking about doing the hats model until i saw that you did it. I think most of the decision making models out there have the same basic structure. They are all very similar and require you to think about the pros and cons of your decisions and help you make the best choices. I agree that the G.R.E.A.T. model is the most effective and easiest model to use in decision making.

    ReplyDelete