Monday, January 26, 2009

Stress

Stress, the feeling created when our body rises up to a particular challenge, is our body's preparation to focus and deal with a tough situation. Stressors are the events that invoke this feeling in our bodies. For different people, different events can invoke the feeling of stress in their bodies. Some people may become stressed with required 10 minute speech on their research paper; while for others, stress comes when they are in physical danger.

When our bodies respond to stressors, specific hormones are activated by the stressors, including the hormones adrenaline and cortisol. Then the hormones are released into the bloodstream, causing our metabolism, heart rate, and breathing rate to speed up, and our blood pressure to rise, also. The blood vessels widen to allow more blood to travel to large muscle groups. Our muscles are on alert, and our pupils dilate to improve our eyesight. Stored glucose is released by the liver to increase our body's energy. Sweat is excreted to cool down our body. Our stress response, all the reactions mentioned above, are intended to make us more efficiently under the pressure.

At times, feeling stress is actually beneficial. In dangerous situations, like preventing an accident while driving, stress makes sure the person stays alert. We become better prepared to meet the challenge. But on other occasions, long term stress can be induced in the body, like during a divorce or starting at college. Sooner or later, our bodies are depleted of energy and can no longer function efficiently. Therefore our immune systems are weakened and we can be left feeling overwhelmed. Stress overload could be in response to...
-being exposed to violence or bullying
-relationship stress, death of a loved one, or a broken heart
-ongoing school problems related to learning disabilities
-no time to rest and relax; constantly being on the go.

7 comments:

  1. Erica this is a very good and informative blog. It has many points to it. I think that you should have put some examples maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, okay. I believe I have some examples in the post. Let me know what sort of examples you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate! I get so stressed out over homework that I feel exhausted and overwhelmed. It is interesting, however, that I do not feel the symptoms mentioned like my heart rate or breathing rate speeding up. At least, if I do breath heavier or anything, I don't notice. (I don't sweat either. Hahaha probably a good thing!) Perhaps I'm so engulfed by my work that I'm not aware that my heart rate increases or my pupils dilate. I think the health teachers need to inform the school board that homework is hazardous to our health! Maybe we'll get less!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with nick homework is so stressful! When i get home i have basketball for 2 too 2 and a half hours and i get stressed about that and then when i get home i have homework which is still stressfull. I'm always exhausted. I do get that stress would be helpful when driving and i hope it is in my near driving future

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was interesting to learn about the chemical reactions that occur inside your body when you become stressed. Like Nick, I do not generally notice the symptoms of stress, and believe me, I am stressed a lot. Before big soccer games or tests I do notice an increase in my heart rate and, I can sometimes feel my face get hot when I am put in a dangerous or stressful situation. Other than that I do not tend to notice huge "shifts" or changes in my body.

    I also had no idea that stress is meant to prepare your body for quick reactions under pressure. I guess I should embrace the stress that accompanies the start of major soccer games or big tests in school. Maybe I will play better or do better on the test. Haha. Thanks for the information. (Maybe your next post or a "side" post can be how to reduce stress. I do not think you need any more examples though haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good information. It is interesting to learn what our body does to help make our body to function better during stressful situations. I think stress is beneficial at times, but being to stressed out causes more problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good information erica i did not know that stress is ment for your body to react faster thats cool thats good to know before distrcts!! you had a lot of good examples

    ReplyDelete